Broad range of services
for any and every individual.
Kids & Teens
Recent news headlines and research studies paint a bleak picture of today’s kids and teens. Rates of anxiety, depression, ADHD, and suicide are at all-time highs. Many kids and teens feel an obligation to do everything perfect, and this perfectionism, leads to unhealthy amounts stress and pressure. Even in our super-connected, ultra-busy world, our young people feel lonelier than ever.
But these statistics only tell half of the story.
Today’s kids and teens are creative, tolerant, and compassionate. They’re also not bogged down by old stigmas of counseling and mental health problems. This puts them in a perfect spot for fully using all that therapy offers. I draw from these strengths to connect with the kids and teens who come to me for counseling. I love listening to their stories and getting to know them as unique individuals. Together, we explore the underlying causes of their distress and we develop a plan for how to make things better.
I tailor my sessions to fit each client. Sometimes we sit and talk. Other times, we make art, we journal, and we even watch YouTube videos. For elementary-aged kids, I utilize play therapy.
I can help your kid or teen:
- Learn ways to manage stress and anxiety.
- Overcome the belief that “I’m not (blank) enough.”
- Find relief from depression, suicidal thoughts, and self-harming behavior.
- Heal from trauma.
- Develop a self-care plan for loneliness.
- Process issues with relationships, friendships, and online connections.
- Uncover the underlying reasons for behavioral and school problems, and learn new ways to approach these situations.
- Help young athletes and their families thrive in a super-competitive youth sports culture.
- Adjust to life transitions or changes in the family structure.
I offer a safe, judgment-free place where you’re encouraged to shed your Instagram-worthy facade, and instead, be honest about what’s happening underneath. Invest in yourself. Meet with me and let’s have an authentic conversation about how you can begin to live your best life.
I can help you:
- Manage Anxiety and Stress
- Overcome Shame and the belief “I’m not (blank) enough” or “I’m not important.”
- Heal from depression
- Adjust to Life Transitions such as divorce, graduation, changes in family structure
- Heal from the scars of grief and trauma
Flannery O’Connor said, “I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.”
Flannery O’Connor was a smart lady. There’s power in writing. Change and healing can occur when we write our thoughts, memories, and feelings. Actually, research shows that people progress through therapy quicker when journaling is added to the plan.
I keep a stack of journals in my office to give to my clients during their initial appointment. Everyone is encouraged to use them. Sometimes we will do specific writing exercises, but other times, the journals are there for them to jot down their thoughts in between sessions.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
EMDR was developed in the late 1990s as a way to help people heal from trauma. Since then, it has become a widely-used form of therapy to treat trauma, panic, anxiety, and past emotionally-charged experiences that are interfering with present-day life. This approach believes past emotionally-charged experiences are overly influencing your present life. For example, many people will react to an event and think, “Logically, this shouldn’t bother me, but it still does.”
EMDR replicates REM sleep patterns to help process old memories and traumas. This allows you break through the emotional blocks and finally be free from the old wounds.
For more information, look at: www.emdria.org